Cheesy zucchini cupcakes...yeah, you gotta try this!



Zucchini likes to test me every year.   When it comes into season, there is a nonstop plethora of the wonderful green veggie.  Pretty much you can use the old saying of, "I got so much zucchini, it's coming out my ears."  Although I absolutely love it, the overabundance causes me to experiment and find new ways to make it even more enjoyable.


This year, I saw a recipe for zucchini tots.  I actually called them cupcakes because I made them bigger than tots.  It really didn't matter either way, cupcake or tot.  Once they came out of the oven,  they were called GONE.   They were just what my taste buds desired.  I added cooked sausage to a few just to try it.  I loved them both.


One key thing you have to do is to get some of the moisture out of the zucchini.  I like to shred it and add a little salt to it, then just let it sit and the moisture will be pulled out.  You can also squeeze it tightly in a dish towel.  Just be sure to do one or the other, or you will have watery cupcakes.  BLECH!




Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a cupcake pan with nonstick cooking spray.


In a large bowl, mix:
about 1 1/2 cups zucchini (water squeezed out)
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup cracker crumbs (I made mine out of Club crackers)
2 eggs
1/4 cup Parmesan
large dash of garlic powder
large dash of Greek season
large dash of black pepper
1/2 cup cooked sausage (I only put this in half of them)
top with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese


Fill each hole to about 3/4 full.  Top with cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 18-20 minutes.  Until nice and golden brown.



Love what you eat and eat what you love!  :)

Comments

Popular Posts