Thursday, December 31, 2015

Change your life spaghetti

This recipe that I found and 
adapted has seriously changed the way
I will make spaghetti forever! 

(I have to apologize for no picture..I was hungry)

I actually remember the first time 
I helped make spaghetti.  My sister
and her family was living
in Louisiana, and I went to visit them.
It was there that she taught me to 
always be sure to boil the water before 
you add the noodles or they will
make one big sticky mess.
If I am not mistaken, I think the story 
was that she learned this the
 hard way by having a bad noodle 
experience.  I believe she
may have even been cooking for
her new mother-in-law at the time 
of the noodle disaster.  

But after boiling my noodles all these years,
I have finally found a better way!
With this new discovery, you only mess
up ONE dish.  


One pan spaghetti

1 lb lean hamburger meat
2 cups hot water
1 bullion cube
8 oz spaghetti noodles
1 jar Ragu 
2 cups mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan

Dissolve the bullion cube in the hot water and set aside.  In a deep skillet, brown hamburger meat until no longer pink.  If your meat is lean enough, there is no need to drain the grease. If you have alot of grease, you may want to drain it.  I didn't have to drain any.  Add water and bullion to the skillet and bring to a low boil.  Break noodles into 3 sections and add to the pan.  Stir often so they don't stick together and cook about 5-6 minutes.  They should be getting pretty soft.  Add the spaghetti sauce and stir well.  Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes on a low boil but stir occasionally.  Just make sure not to let it burn or stick to the bottom.  Try a noodle and make sure it is cooked well.  Turn off the heat and add the cheeses.  Do not stir but put lid back on and let the cheeses melt.  Serve with garlic bread or rolls.

Love what you eat and eat what you love! :)


Friday, December 18, 2015

Our homemade bed



After putting it off forever, I recently
 got new carpet!  And I LOVE it!
One thing it made me realize though, was
that I had way too much crap.  
I really already knew this but, I think
I was in
denial to a certain degree.
I did try to downsize some, and 
I am still working on that. 

While getting the carpet I realized it
was time for
a new bed as well.  The old one
being about 15 years old...it was time
to upgrade.

I had talked about wanting a 
homemade bed and looked 
up some pics, but one day,
my boyfriend said...is this the kind of
bed you like?  He showed me 
a picture of the bed below.
 BINGO! 
Yes!  
This is EXACTLY what I wanted.
I said YES!  I want THAT bed.  


He did some calculations in his head, 
and we went to Lowe's a couple of 
times and BAM!  We have a bed.
I did at least stain it and try to help 
with some of the woodwork, but 
I tend to just be in the way, so 
I really was just there for moral support.

This is with just the base finished.



This is with the base stained.



This is with the back stained but still
wet.  It was shiny until it dried.  
I didn't want it to be shiny, but you 
could add a layer of shine if you want
it to be.


It turned out better than I imagined. 
I have got to work on my colors and get
some pillows to set it off, but the
bed is just perfect.  And weighs 
about 3 tons.  It is built super sturdy.
It will last forever.  And my favorite part
is that he(we) built it.  ha :)







Dresser redo with gel stain


I have always had a knack for
the mechanical stuff.  Once you do
something your whole life, some
of it is gonna stick.  

But one thing I didn't grow up 
around was a carpenter sort of handiness.
Don't get me wrong, dad can fix 
just about anything he wants, but
he has the tendency to "rig" things
that are along the realm of carpentry.

With my recent addition of a new bed,
my dresser was in the need of a 
redo or replacement.  I really didn't
want to spend money to replace it and 
with the homemade bed, not just 
anything was going to match.
So, I was looking into my options and 
found the miraculous "gel stain".

For someone who doesn't know about the
sanding and refinishing techniques, 
this stain makes it easy.

This was my old dresser...it 
was cherry.  I had taken
out one drawer before I decided to do 
a before picture.


Basically, I just took all of the drawers 
out and removed the hardware.  Most
handles will just have screws on
the inside.  The center emblems actually
had nails and were a bit of a pain, but I got
them off. 

I took a sanding pad and lightly everything.
Then I took a soft towel and dusted 
off the residue.  The gel stain goes a long 
way.  I ordered a quart and only used maybe
a third if even that much to do this
whole dresser.  A pint would go far.  
I ordered this on eBay because I couldn't find
it anywhere. 
Java is the color I used.  It is
a really rich brown, almost black.


To apply it, you will need a rubber glove
and then either a jersey glove over
that or even just a sock will do. 
Basically you just rub the stain on and make
sure everything gets a good coat.  
If you decide to apply a second coat, you 
will need to let the first one
dry for 24 hours.  I was happy with
one coat and I was so excited I couldn't 
wait to get it all together, so I did one coat.

For the handles, I just used an
can of paint that I sell here at the store.  
The color is aluminum, but it comes out
a nice burnished silver to me, so it
was exactly what I wanted.  I just arranged
 all of the handles on some cardboard 
and gave them a good coat of paint.

The dark brown goes great with 
our new homemade bed.  I couldn't
be happier with the way they both turned out!