Honeybun Cake...quite possibly the best cake I ever made:)

Happy New Year!

Now eat some cake
so I don't eat it all. :)


I hope you and yours had the most 
wonderful holiday season ever!
I have to say, mine was pretty freaking awesome!

I love Christmas and New Years being
on an Monday because I get Sunday and
Monday off, 2 DAYS in a ROW which is RARE for this chick!

It was awesome, until this morning,
 when the 
wind chill was -8, 
and I had to come back to work.  
Not a happy camper. 
-8, seriously is not my weather.
 I wanted to turn on the heated blanket and hibernate 'til spring...but nooooo...gotta pay the bills, so I can heat that heated blanket.  

Anyway, after surviving the holidays, I finally 
decided I need to get this cake onto my
blog.  I made 5 of these over the holidays.  
And they were all eaten.  
Every bite.
Of course, some of that may have been 
because I love it with coffee, 
and I got a 
NESPRESSO 
coffee maker 
for Christmas, but 
still...every bite.  :)

The Nespresso Vertuoline,
 by the way, if you love 
froo froo coffee,
 is the bomb!
I got mine with a milk frother and it is the best cup of coffee I have ever ever ever drank!

Honeybun Cake 

4 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 Butter Golden cake mix 15.25 oz

1 cup brown sugar
1 t ground cinnamon

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
about 10 T water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

In a large bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients well with a whisk, then add the cake mix and whisk very well. 



Pour 1/2 the cake batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan.



In another bowl, mix the cup of brown sugar with the cinnamon and get rid of any lumps.
Sprinkle and gently spread the brown sugar on top of the cake layer.




Top the brown sugar with the rest of the cake batter. Then take a knife and run through to make some swirls.  Put it in the oven...while it is baking, mix your powdered sugar and one teaspoon of vanilla.  Then add a few tablespoons of water and stir well.  Keep adding tablespoons of water and stirring until you have a thick but spreadable icing, set aside.



Bake the cake at 350 for about 33-38 minutes.  I always look at the cake at about 25 minutes and make sure it is not getting too brown.  If it seems to be, you can cover with a sheet of foil.  Mine have been taking about 35 minutes, but every oven is different.  I always put a toothpick in the center and make sure it pulls out clean.  This is out of the oven, before icing...



As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the icing around the edges and let it spread.  As the cake melts it, it will be easier to spread.  You may have a little extra, just be sure to cover the whole thing.  If it settles in the middle, try to pull some of the icing to the sides.  


Love what you eat and eat what you love! :)





Comments

Popular Posts