Super easy cheesy shrimp and grits


I have never made grits before.  I actually
tried them when I was little and since then, they have been on my "Do Not Want" list.  
It is so crazy how our tastes change as
we age.  I felt the same way about celery 
for a long time, and now I love it.  I don't think I am not alone in this weirdness. :)

How my grits tasting came along this time was that my dad was really sick for the 
first 2 months of this year. He did not want to eat so I bought anything that I thought he might eat...because he would not eat...anything. This is when 
I purchased cheddar cheese grits in the packages that are so easy to make just like flavored oatmeal.  Of course, he didn't eat it, BUT...when I made it for him, I tasted it and WTH?  I loved it.  ahhhh

So fast forward and I saw a recipe pop up on FB for shrimp and grits...I instantly wanted it, so I looked at about 10 recipes and picked the ingredients I thought I would like in it, and I loved it!

Super easy cheesy shrimp and grits

3 packets of cheddar cheese grits made according to the package
1 can Rotel, drained
1 pkg frozen shrimp thawed and tails removed
3 T butter
1 T minced garlic
season salt
pepper
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated

In a medium nonstick pot, add butter and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes over low-medium heat. While this is sauteing, cook the grits according to the package, using milk instead of water to make them. I had to cook mine longer because I made them all in one bowl, just make sure they taste right. :) Add shrimp to butter in pot and sprinkle with season salt and pepper.  Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes then stir in cooked grits and Rotel and 1 cup of the cheese.  Let this simmer on low for about 12-15 minutes, stirring a few times.  Turn off heat and top with the other cup of cheese.  Put a lid on it and let it sit for 10 minutes.  

I was pulling all of this out of my head and hopefully got it right, if something doesn't seem right, use your own judgement and change it.  ha:)

Don't be afraid to try something new! :)








Comments

Popular Posts