Fried mac 'n cheese balls




You can make these mac and cheese balls with basically any kind of mac and cheese you want.  You could use leftovers, the little microwave bowls, the blue box or even the packages from the freezer section.

I actually used the kind from the freezer section to make these, just because I saw the mac 'n cheese in the freezer section and that is where this inspiration came from.  Sometimes I wander in the store and wait to be inspired.  
Actually quite often. :)
 These really were not as hard to make as I thought they might be. I will be making them more in the future for sure.



Fried mac 'n cheese balls

Mac 'n cheese
2 eggs beaten with a dash of milk 
1/2 cup panko crumbs 
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
oil for frying

If your mac 'n cheese is going to be made fresh, add an extra helping of sharp cheddar to make it have an extra cheese pop to it. I used one package of the frozen kind, and it was just right for 2 people. Once cooked in the microwave and extra cheese is added, it needs to be refrigerated for about 3 hours.  Or if you are in a rush, I refrigerated mine for an hour then put it into about 1 1/2 inch piles on a plate and put in it into the freezer for 15 minutes.  If it is leftover or chilled long enough, it should be cold enough to make it into piles that kind of stick together on their own.    

When you are ready to fry, get the oil almost ready, then take the piles one at a time and dip them into the egg with your hand, trying to keep it in a round shape. Then gently roll in the crumbs and coat very well.  I always use paper plates for stuff like this so I can throw them away and have less cleanup. :)



Carefully add them one at a time to the oil and cook until browned on one side then flip and cook the other side. 


I had my oil pretty warm so they cooked really fast.  It only took a couple minutes for each one to start getting ready to take out of the oil.  Let them drain on paper towels.


and eat 'em!  



Jill:)

Comments

Popular Posts