French Dip Subs....


French dip sub.  Three little words describing one of my favorite sandwiches.  I have always loved the whole au jus dipping experience and flavor that goes along with the French dip.  I used to get the sandwich at Arby's.  The problem was, when traveling and eating on the go, the French dip is not very "eat on the run" friendly.  Being an experienced driver, I managed to eat it, but it definitely was a little tricky to dip and drive without wearing most of the au jus in the process. 


The Crock-Pot.  This one has always eluded me.  You see, I am a constant stirrer-watcher kind of cook.  The idea of leaving my pot at home all day to sit all alone without me watching it, drives me crazy.  So, I took the Crock-Pot to work with me a few times.  This did not work out all that well.  This pot is meant to be left alone.  The steaming from the lid and the whole process of trapping the heat in, this is how it works its magic.  Being in the same room with the Crock-Pot, I could not leave it alone.  I would still look and stir many times throughout the day.  Resistance was futile.  So, I decided to try a recipe that I found for the French dip sub and to leave my pot at home.  Although I fretted all day thinking about it, it actually worked without me being there!  I came home to a wonderful aroma that filled the house, and a beef roast that was fork tender.  It was sitting in a nice bath of au jus, just waiting for me to eat it. 


So all that being said, here is the recipe that I tweaked to my liking and photo of the results.  :)


3-4 lb roast with fat trimmed
garlic salt
Greek seasoning
1 packet onion soup mix
2 bottles of dark beer
4 beef bullion cubes
a couple of dashes of Worcestershire
water to cover roast (usually 2-3 cups)


In your crockpot, season roast well on all sides with the garlic salt and Greek seasoning.  Sprinkle in the packet of onion soup mix.  Add the 2 beers.  When adding the bullion cubes, I like to dissolve them in a cup or 2 of water in the microwave for about 30 seconds, this way they get dispersed evenly.  Pour the Worcestershire and bullion into the crock.  This may be enough liquid, depending on your roast.  If not, add enough water to just cover the roast.  Cook on high for about 8-9 hours.  The meat should be fork tender.  As soon as I get home, I use 2 forks and shred the meat while still in the au jus and let it sit for about 20 minutes in the juice.  You can turn the pot off, it will stay plenty warm.


You can use this meat however you like.  It works well with French bread or any type of sub roll.  Slice the rolls in half and cover with a layer of the meat.  Add provolone cheese and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted.  You are now ready to grab a bowl of the au jus and dip away! 

Comments

Popular Posts