Fried green tuh-may-duhs (tomatoes) :


Recently I had the opportunity 
to go with my boyfriend to 
Illinois for a work trip.  It was the little 
town of Mt. Sterling that pretty much had a huge 
DOT factory, 
and that was about it.
But it did have a couple of thrift stores 
which are actually my favorite, 
so I still had fun and got to relax a bit.


While there, it was brought to my
attention that I have a strong southern
accent.  I never realized this, but 
one lady even said, "I could listen
to you talk all day long".  This clicked in
my head as I was typing tomatoes
in the title of this page. 
That would be one word that 
I could pretty much be a red flag of my
southern dialect.  Dad even has a 
friend who is even more southern, 
and he says "maters".  

Regardless of how you pronounce it...
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES 
are 
the 
yummy.

I grew up with my mom making them
just dipped in flour, but 
a few years ago I tweaked a recipe
and I love them this way.

Fried green 'maters

2-3 green tomatoes sliced 1/4" thick
1 cup flour for dredging
2 eggs beaten well with a fork
1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed

Flat bottom skillet with about 1/4" oil

Pat the slices of tomato dry with a paper towel.  Dredge each slice in the flour then 
into the egg making sure the egg coats well.  Dip into the cracker crumbs making sure to cover both sides.  Place in the oil at a temperature of about 325-350 degrees.  I have a digital infrared thermometer that is wonderful for checking the oil temperature.  I sell them at the auto parts store to work on vehicles with, but they are a must in the kitchen!  Try to let each one brown on the first side and only flip once.  Place them on paper towels or a wire rack if you have one, it seems to help keep them from getting soggy.  Dip in ranch or ketchup or whatever you like.  :)

Love what you eat and eat what you love! :)




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts