Slow down and eat some chocolate gravy


In this fast paced world we 
live in, it is easy to get wrapped
up in all the chaos and 
not take time to
appreciate the little things.  
Like chocolate gravy and biscuits.

I admittedly can be impatient and
want to get things done in a hurry, 
yes...I admit to this weakness.
Especially when I am cooking.
I love to eat, so I don't like to wait.  
I want to eat....now!
I tend to plan my meal in my head during 
the day and whip up said meal
 in about 15 minutes no matter
what it is.

Recently, my boyfriend asked if
I had ever made chocolate gravy.  
Nope.
I had heard of it, but never cooked it
or even eaten it for that matter.
I grew up with mom making
white gravy.  I even called and asked her
if she ever made chocolate gravy.  
Nope.
Although my dad said his mom used to make
it.  So I guess it was a family thing.  
Mom's family ate white gravy.  
Dad's ate white gravy and also
chocolate gravy.  
I have also heard of 
red eye gravy, never had it either.  
So what kind of gravy 
family did you come from?

Let's face it, no one can 
compare to grandma's cooking, so I 
am just trying to make some
edible chocolate goodness.

I always meld
several recipes and
come up with my own, 
so I Googled chocolate gravy 
recipes.  I compared 3 different ones,
 one being Paula Dean's of course since 
she is Paula Dean, ya'll.  
And I came up with one that 
incorporated the 3 and its' process
was similar to how I am
used to making gravy.

Turns out I passed!  He and I both
enjoyed the gravy.  Although 
my Grands biscuits were no where near his
grandma's.  haha.  So therefore
we get back to my initial speech 
about slowing things down.  
I am gonna step away from the canned
biscuits next time and make some
good ole cat head biscuits as they used to 
call them, from scratch.

Biscuits are much more daunting
than chocolate gravy. 
 There is much more
of an art to biscuit making.  The
ingredients are very basic, 
but the technique
and how you treat the ingredients is 
very important.  
There are words like
sifting flour, cutting the butter in, 
and kneading that my non baking
butt is just not very
familiar with, but I am gonna give it a
shot...as soon as I get over being
full of this chocolate gravy...it is very
very filling and very hard to stop eating.  :)

Oh and sorry for no gravy pics...
I didn't slow down 
soon enough.  :(
I will add later!

Chocolate Gravy

1 c sugar
3 T Hershey's cocoa powder
2 1/2 T flour
1 3/4 c milk
3 T butter

In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cocoa and 
flour until well blended.  Add the milk and whisk until smooth.  In a large skillet, melt the butter then pour the cocoa mix into the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.   Cook until the gravy thickens.  It may take several minutes, but it will happen.  Serve over hot biscuits. :)

Love what you eat and eat what you love! :)


Comments

Popular Posts