Colorful veggies packed with vitamins!


In keeping with my continued new ingredient experimentation, this week, I tried the fabulous BEET.   I have tried pickled beets in the past and never really cared for them.  But, I was intrigued by a recipe I came across that actually calls for roasting the beets.  I know beets are really good for you, so I thought I would try them.

After making this recipe, my personal evaluation of the beet is that it tastes VERY earthy.  Which is a good way of saying, it tastes like DIRT.  Ha!  But the funny thing is that I kinda liked them.  So, I guess that means I am weird, and I like dirt.  Oh well, I already knew I was kinda weird anyway, so I'm fine with that.

Turns out, this recipe is packed with vitamins and low in calories.  So if you are really hungry, this will make an excellent dish for you!   The recipe I got this from called these "Jeweled Vegetables".  I guess because the colors are very vibrant and pretty. They make a great side dish, or you can do like me and eat almost the whole dish by itself.  :/

Roasted Jeweled Carrots, Brussels and Beets
Ingredients:
3 medium whole beets
16 oz brussel sprouts (I used frozen and thawed them a bit)
16 oz baby carrots
3 T olive oil
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes (add a little more if you like spicy)
2 T minced garlic
A few dashes of Greek or your fave seasoning salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Wash beets, put them in an oven safe dish and tightly cover with foil.   Cook for 30 minutes.  In the meantime, cut the baby carrots and brussel sprouts in half.  In another oven safe dish, toss them well with the olive oil, garlic, salt, and peppers and a few dashes of seasoning salt (I love Cavendar's Greek seasoning).  After the beets have cooked for 30 minutes, add this dish to the oven and all for 45 more minutes.  Directions will continue below pic...

This is what the carrots and brussels look like before roasting. 


Remove the beets from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes until they can be handled.  Peel the beets and cut them into 1" cubes.   Remove the other veggies from the oven and toss the beets in with them.  Season with a little more salt and pepper if needed. 


I hope you enjoy these veggies as much as I did!   Because you should always... Love what you eat and eat what you love!   :)

Comments

Popular Posts