Quinoa burgers...for our genes' sake.

Let's face it, we all have genes from our families that we wish we could maybe trade back in for some others.  Whether it be the big ears or ankles from my dad's side or the varicose veins from my mom, they are what make me who I am, so I try to make the best with what I have been given. 

If there were one thing I would like to give back though, it would be the hereditary high cholesterol.  Basically, no matter what I eat, it is gonna be there.  I can eat super healthy and still should be on medicine for it.  I have yet to get on meds, but now that I have turned 40, the fact that it runs in the 200's is becoming more ominous to me.

To offset the dangers, I do try to eat pretty well and exercise at least a few times a week.  One of the things that I have given up for my health is the "real" cheeseburger.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good greasy burger, but it just doesn't love me back one bit. 

Now that I know the consequences, I had just rather steer away from the 30 grams of fat in a cheeseburger and eat a homemade veggie burger with cheese, for just a few grams of fat.  Of course they are not the same, but with lettuce, tomato, pickle and mustard, I like it just about as good.   I know it sounds weird, but somehow just knowing it is healthy, makes it taste better to me.  :)

So I came up with some veggie patties that I can freeze and have whenever I crave one.   I cook them, let them cool, and wrap them first in wax paper, then in plastic wrap.  Just pop one in the microwave and defrost, top with cheese and your favorite toppings and a bun.  Good stuff.  And healthy.

Quinoa burgers:
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese
big dash of garlic powder
1/2 cup finely diced onion
dash of red pepper flakes
1 cup bread crumbs
(optional, add shredded carrot if you like)

Mix all of the ingredients well. The mixture should be easily made into patties. I never really measure, so if the mixture seems to dry or wet, add a dash of milk or a little more cracker crumbs. Form mixture into 5 or 6 patties. Heat skillet over medium heat with just a little oil or butter (whatever is your fave). Cook the patties until browned well on both sides.  You can either eat them now or freeze them!




This is an open faced quinoa burger.  Sometimes I will save the extra calories and only use a bottom bun.  With less bread, you can taste the rest of the burger better anyway. 

Comments

Popular Posts