Bring on the summer veggies! Zucchini patties!

There is nothing like fresh veggies 
from the garden.
Just one more reason to 
love summer!


My parents' zucchini has started to come in.  
Once it starts, it grows like 
wildfire.  It seems that one 
zucchini can grow a foot long 
in a day.

I do my best to help them eat it!

One of my favorite ways it to prepare the yummy green sticks is to shred it and make patties!

For these six patties, I used one medium zucchini.  It contains alot of moisture, so I have found it helps to draw some of that out.  To do this, use a grater and grate the zucchini into a bowl, then sprinkle generously with salt.  Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then drain off the moisture that it has produced.   This will keep your patties from being all watery and mushy.

Once it has drained, add one egg and about 3/4 cup of flour.  I also added fresh chives and some Asiago cheese...any cheese will do, but I like a super strong one the best. 
Diced onion is excellent as well.
A dash or 2 of Greek seasoning and you are ready to mix. 
 You still have the salt leftover from the soaking, so you shouldn't really need more.  If your mixture seems too dry, you can add a few drops of milk.

To fry these, I tried grape seed oil
that I had recently purchased, and it worked great.  It was very light and I used just a dab.  Heat the skillet to medium high and add your spoonfuls of mixture.


I cut the heat back to medium after a minute or so and flipped them when lightly browned.  Cook until both sides are nicely browned.



If you use a small amount of oil, these are very low calorie and taste amazing!


I ended up topping these with fat free sour cream with a little dill mixed in to it.  I love the pairing of the two!
They went great with my tilapia!



Love what you eat and eat what you love!   :)


Comments

Popular Posts