Easy as pie!

Ok, now that I have your attention, especially if you love food like me.   I have to tell you about this pie.  My husband requested an apple pie made in an iron skillet.  This was the result, and it was fabulous, delicious and easy.   I got the recipe on Allrecipes.com.  Here it is.

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

Ingredients


1/2 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

5 Granny Smith apples -- peeled, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced

3 (9 inch) refrigerated prerolled pie crusts

1 cup white sugar, divided

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided

1/4 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon butter, cut into small chunks



Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place 1/2 cup butter into a heavy cast iron skillet, and melt butter in the oven. Remove skillet and sprinkle with brown sugar; return to oven to heat while you prepare the apples.
  3. Remove skillet, and place 1 refrigerated pie crust on top of the brown sugar. Top the pie crust with half the sliced apples. Sprinkle apples with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon; place a second pie crust over the apples; top the second crust with the remaining apples, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Top with the third crust; sprinkle the top crust with 1/4 cup sugar, and dot with 1 tablespoon of butter. Cut 4 slits into the top crust for steam.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve warm.
I only changed a couple of things.  Instead of the 5 granny smith apples, I used 4 granny smith and 2 fuji apples.  I mixed the sugar and cinnamon together before putting it on the apples.  I also cooked it more like an hour to make sure it browned nicely.  That is all. Enjoy!  It was the best tasting apple pie I have ever had!  :)

Comments

Popular Posts