Tilapia and cabbage, and everything is better with bacon.

I have been cooking alot of cabbage lately, mainly for its low calorie factor.  Eric, my husband, wanted to lose some weight, so he ate very light lunches, and I cooked him lots of fish and cabbage.   It was a big change from his typical steak and potatoes, but he actually said the way I cooked the fish made it better than steak, aww.  And he lost 27 pounds.  YAY!  


With cabbage, I typically chop it roughly, cook it down in a little water, then add a bit of oil and fry it until tender.  I sometimes add bell pepper and red pepper flakes, but I decided I wanted something with a little more POP.  After looking online, I found the answer...bacon wrapped cabbage.  When a photo of food makes me drool a little, I gotta try it.  


As a bonus, it is a really easy recipe to cook.   And like the saying goes...Everything is better with bacon.   ha!


To give you an idea what this will look like, this photo was taken about half way through the cooking process..




For starters, just cut your cabbage into about 1" slices or wedges.  The first cut off the cabbage tends to be a wedge, so I had some of both.  You will need about 2 slices per person.  Next, sprinkle with Cavander's Greek Seasoning.  This is my favorite seasoning.  It is great for veggies or meat...gotta have it.   Carefully wrap each cabbage wedge with 2 slices of bacon.  


Place the wedges on a cookie sheet.  For starters, cook them at 350 for 20 minutes.  Take them out of the oven and coat them with a little butter or if you are dieting, just splash them with a little beef stock. The extra moisture will help to soften the cabbage.  Place them back in the oven for about 20-30 more minutes.  Some people like their cabbage kinda crisp, so depending on how tender you like your cabbage, you can take them out sooner, just as long as the bacon is cooked.  I like mine cooked until soft, so it just kinda melts in your mouth.




I paired the cabbage with lightly blackened tilapia.  Tilapia is a great fish to grill, it is not too fishy and it holds up well on the grill.    Generously sprinkle tilapia filets with paprika, garlic powder, and Greek seasoning.   Spray the first side of the fish with cooking spray and place it on the grill over medium flame for about 5 minutes.  Then spray the second side of the fish and carefully flip it.    It takes about 5 minutes on the second side too.  I just usually make sure the meat is nice and white inside.  




Love what you eat and eat what you love!   :)

Comments

Popular Posts