Summer delights...



I always look forward to all the 
fresh summer fruits and 
vegetables that we have here
 in the south.  From cucumbers and
tomatoes that taste so much 
better than store bought, to the
wild patch of blackberries in
 my field that
are just about ready for me to pick
and make a cobbler.

Hand picked food just makes every meal better.

My mom and dad have cucumbers 
that are growing so fast, they
can hardly pick them fast enough.  

Two of them got overlooked and were
about the size of my arm.  I decided to 
slice them up and try to make
some pickles!

I am writing this post before I have tried them, but I wanted to get the recipe out of my head before I forgot it.
I will be trying them after 
a few days in the refrigerator,
 so if they are bad,
 I will let you know!   

I made 2 half gallon jars from the 2 huge cucumbers that I had.  They didn't completely fill the jars, but came pretty close.

Quickie pickles 
(because they were super easy)  

Cucumbers thinly sliced (about 6-8)
6 tsp minced garlic
1 large onion thinly sliced

Put the cucumbers, onion 
and garlic in a bowl and lightly toss them.

Bring the following mixture to a boil and pour over the cucumbers.   

2 quarts of white vinegar
2 quarts water
1/8 cup dill weed
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
(I added 2 sliced fresh jalapenos to one just for a little heat)


Cover and let cool, then put in the refrigerator.  I actually put my lids on and they sealed, but according the  recipes I looked at, they don't have to seal.  I am going to try not to eat one for at least 4-5 days so that the flavors will be ready.  I will let you know the results! 

*Update*
Waited 3 days
 (that is as long as I could wait)
The pickles are yummy!
The hot ones are the best!
You will have garlic onion breath, but it will be worth it!    


Love what you eat and eat what you love!

Comments

Popular Posts