For the love of asparagus!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE asparagus!  It is possibly my favorite veggie.  A friend of mine has recently started to get an abundance of fresh spring asparagus and has shared it with me!   He actually brought enough for about 4 days of eating, twice now.  I just can't stand to let fresh produce go to waste, so I have been eating it every night. 

Just like anything in life, it is possible to get too much of a good thing.  As much as I like it, I can still get burned out on the same old asparagus.  I tend to saute or roast it in a little butter or olive oil.  That was just getting old, so I found this new recipe for panko crusted asparagus and was instantly intrigued!  I took some photos as I cooked, to help with the explanation, so here we go!

Line a baking dish with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray (I use the olive oil kind).   Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a long dish, whisk 2 eggs.  For the dipping, I use paper plates for less mess to clean up later.  One plate will be flour, the other will be panko breadcrumbs, or cracker crumbs, whichever you may have.  I added a little parsley, Parmesan cheese and season salt to mine because they were plain panko crumbs.  The other plate will be your washed and trimmed asparagus spears.  Like this...


First, dip the clean asparagus in the flour, not much flour will stick, but it does help the egg to stick, which is your next dip.  So now, dip and coat the stalks well in the egg.  Lastly, gently roll them in the panko crumbs until well coated.  Carefully lay each onto the cookie sheet, should be looking something like this...

Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and pop them in the oven.  I cooked mine for about 8 minutes, then carefully turned them.  They should take about 15 minutes total.  Just keep and eye on them and let them get toasty brown, like this...


For the last photo, I grilled a big slab of salmon, which is my favorite fish, so having 2 of my favorites together in one meal made me... one extremely happy girl!  This is definitely a keeper for my plate!
Until next time, always...Love what you eat and eat what you love!
:)





Comments

  1. I love asparagus too! I don't cook it to often and when I do I wonder why I waited so long to have it. Love the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. I have so many food loves. It is easy to forget about them. This is asparagus season though, so be sure and grab you some. Thanks so much for the love. I really enjoy doing these articles when I can find time to sit down and pull them together. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts