Salmon, Oh Salmon, I must substitute tilapia for you.


So, being a fish lover, I try to read about it and know the good and the bad of it all.  Salmon is one of my favorites fishes but like everything else in the world, it too has good and bad points.  First they tell you to eat salmon, it is good for you.  Then they tell you, don't eat too much salmon, it can be bad for you. 

Wild caught salmon seems to be the way to go.  It comes straight from the ocean.  It doesn't have the red dye in it that the farm raised salmon does.  It doesn't contain toxins from the food and contaminated water it lives in.  It even has more Omega-3 than the farm raised.  So why should there even be a problem choosing?   The answer unfortunately is TASTE.   I just don't like the taste or texture of the wild caught salmon.   It just seems like a completely different fish. 

Therefore, I tend to just buy the farm raised and only eat it once or twice a week.  This week, I bought tilapia instead, just to give my body a break from the toxic salmon.  I don't buy alot of tilapia, but it really is a pretty good fish.  It is a very mild fish, and it grills  similar to salmon.  It can fall apart if you are not careful, so I tend to be a little more gentle with it on the grill. 

To make the tilapia dish, I bought a bag of frozen mixed veggies that contained black beans, corn, red pepper and onion.  I sauteed about half the bag in a little olive oil and added a few red pepper flakes.  After it had cooked for a minute or so, I added 2 cups of diced zucchini.  Cooking it all for a few more minutes.  For the tilapia, sprinkle both sides with your favorite seasoning, such as Greek or Old Bay.  Then spray both sides of the fillet with nonstick cooking spray and grill it for about 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat.  The fish will turn more white than opaque when it is done.  Gently remove it from the grill and plate it with the sauteed veggies on top.   And remember...Eat what you love, love what you eat!

Comments

Popular Posts