The question is...Will I like crab??

  
Sometimes it just happens.  You eat the same things over and over, just because.  It is easier to stay in a rut than to jump the ditch and make a new road.  

I felt it was time to experiment with a new-to-me ingredient. To explore.  Be bold.  Venture into the vast ingredients available to me.  Well, maybe not that bold, but new ingredients are intimidating to me.   

I have never purchased crab meat before and to be honest, I didn't even know what it should look like when purchased.  I have had crab stuffed salmon and crab stuffed shrimp at restaurants.  Both were yummy, so I decided to try my hand at crab cakes.   I lightened up a recipe that I found online.

Lightened Up Crabcakes

     2 T mayonnaise
     1 t worchestershire
     1 t mustard
     1 t hot sauce
     1 egg 
     1 t Old Bay seasoning
     sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
  
In a medium bowl, whisk all of the above ingredients well.

      10 crackers, finely crushed
      8 oz. lump crab meat

 
Mix the cracker crumbs and crab meat together, then fold in the mayonnaise mixture.  Refrigerate for one hour.  

Add a couple of tablespoons of oil to a skillet over medium high heat.   Form the crab mixture into 4 patties and place in the skillet.  

Allow patties to brown on first side and flip once.   Cook approximately 3 minutes per side. 

I will have to experiment more to decide my favorite side dish for the crabby cakes.  I tried sauteed green beans with these, and they went well together.  Just about any dish that goes with fish will probably be good for the cakes.  I think the slaw that I had with the tilapia recently may be a good one to try next, or maybe some sauteed zucchini.  mmm.

Ta-Ta for now!  If you have tried a new food lately and liked it, let me know so I can try it too!  And always...eat what you love and love what you eat!


 












 

Comments

Popular Posts