Okay....Can I just say, YUM!  I had no idea this would have turned out so well. 


Nonchalantly, at Kroger a few days ago, I purchased an acorn squash.  After looking at approximately 20 online recipes, I had an idea in my head.  I tend to focus on healthy first and foremost when devising my recipe plan.  I looked at everything from pizza to pasta with acorn squash, but I decided to forego the extra calories of crust or noodles.  I would rather eat both of these halves of squash than one tiny slice of pizza.  :)


So here is a pic of my healthy outcome....
I always change recipes to fit my taste, so feel free to do so, here is my attempt at putting the recipe into writing from out of my head.   


First, cut an acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds and cook it with the cut sides up for about 40 minutes at 375 degrees in the oven.


While the squash is cooking, dice half an onion and saute it in a nonstick skillet with a spray or 2 of Pam, add a dash of red pepper flakes and a tablespoon of garlic cloves (I buy the pre-diced garlic in a jar).  Chop one large sausage link, the sausage I used was a spinach asiago chicken sausage that I got at Sam's Club.  You can use your fave sausage, this one is super low calorie, so I loove it!  Add to the onions.  After cooking for a few minutes, add two large handfuls of chopped fresh spinach.  Saute until the spinach is wilted.   


Take the acorn squash halves and fill each with half of the sausage mixture.  Top with Gorgonzola cheese and broil until cheese is melted.  

Calorie content is approximately...


Whole acorn squash - 160 calories
Chicken sausage - 120 calories
spinach - 15 calories
onion - 20 calories
Gorgonzola - about 85 calories


400 calories for the entire meal!   And almost no fat!  I love a big filling meal for low calories because I love to eat!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts