Spaghetti for my low carb friends!

This "spaghetti" is especially for my low carb diet friends out there.
The sad reality is that true "diet" food tends to be low in flavor.  A common diet is the low carb diet.  On this diet, people tend to do without some of their favorite foods, such as bread and potatoes.  What??  If I had to do without a food, it would make me want that food so much more.  It is just human nature.  I would obsess with the food I was not supposed to eat.  

So, personally, I never truly diet, I just try to find the best substitute for my favorite foods with the least amount of calories.  In the process, I try not to sacrifice the taste.   My food consists of big quantities and lots of vitamins but low in calories and fat.   This dish is a PERFECT example of what I try to do.


I have discovered what I think is an excellent substitute for spaghetti.  It is a HUGE plate of food and you would not believe it, but the whole thing is only about 250 calories and 40 carbs.  And I mean HUGE!   It is over 4 cups, which in normal spaghetti terms is about 800-1000 calories and 100-125 carbs.   So, if you crave spaghetti, this substitute is the way to go, you could even eat half and still be full.  I personally eat the whole thing, just because it is so healthy and YUM!  


First of all, if you have a problem with textures of foods, this may not be the spaghetti for you.  The "noodles" are going to be a 4 cup bag of broccoli slaw.  They will be cooked and come out fairly tender, but they still have a slight "crisp" to them.   I personally kinda like it, but I know of people who have a problem with food textures and that can be a big problem for them to overcome.


To begin, you will cook the slaw. Pour the whole bag into a large skillet with about 1/2 cup of water and one chicken bullion cube.  If it seems to be getting dry, add another splash of water.  Cook it on medium until tender, approximately 10 minutes.  If you like it more tender, cook it a little longer, and if it seems to be cooking dry, add more water while cooking.  Just be sure the water cooks out before you add the sauce in the next step.


The sauce I like is Newman's Own Marinara.  It has a wonderful taste and a little bit of chunkiness.   You can use your favorite spaghetti sauce or whatever you have on hand.  After the broccoli slaw is cooked, add about 3/4 cup of the sauce and cook on low for about 3-4 minutes.  You can add more sauce as your tastebuds desire.


Plate the "spaghetti" onto a large plate and top with a little Parmesan.  I love this shredded parm from the picture above that I found at Kroger. It has so much more flavor than the green can kind.  


Sooo, eat what you love, love what you eat!  :)









Comments

Popular Posts