Grill yourself some veggies in a packet!

A few days ago, I was not in the most energetic cooking mood.  I knew there was stuff in the fridge that I could cook, but I just wasn't feeling it.  From my lack of desire to cook, I discovered a new cooking method that I really like.  

I had the charcoal already smoking because I was going to throw a steak on the grill.  When it suddenly hit me that I could throw an aluminum foil packet of veggies on there and just let them cook while the steak was cooking.  I have always used my gas grill to cook, but I this summer, I have grown to love the versatility of charcoal.  You can let your food simmer on the charcoal grill and it just soaks up the flavor and loveliness.

For starters, I almost always precook my potatoes in the microwave for just about any type of potato cooking method.  It drastically cuts the cooking time because potatoes take a long time to cook.  So I washed about 3 medium potatoes and threw them in the microwave for about 5 minutes.


You want the potatoes to be ALMOST done in the microwave, then cut them into large chunks.  On a large sheet of aluminum foil, add your chopped veggies.  I used what you see above.  Three medium potatoes, red and green bell peppers, and some purple onion.  Place the veggies on the foil and sprinkle on some garlic and Greek seasoning, or whatever are your favorite seasonings.  Add a few tablespoons of olive oil or canola oil, and toss well in the foil.  You can then add another layer of foil to make the packet more stable.  

Here is the veggie packet all oiled up and ready to be cooked. 




Your packet should look something like this when it is headed to the grill.





This is a peek inside the packet after it is done.  I put a little bit of butter on the veggies as I took them off the grill to let it melt into the potatoes.   Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.


For my super healthy packet, I used cabbage, broccoli, red and green bell pepper, and purple onion.  I used a very small amount of oil and added a nice splash of soy sauce, which I forgot to put in the picture.  :/



The packet will be the same.  Aluminum foil to seal in the juices.  
Place the packet on the grill and check occasionally to see if the veggies are tender.  If you are in a hurry, place the packet over the coals.  If you are enjoying your glass of wine, place the packet to the side and let it simmer for a bit.

The soy sauce soaks into the veggies and makes the flavor POP! It  may not be the prettiest thing I have cooked, but if you want a to lose weight, it can be your friend.   It is LOADED with vitamins and flavor BUT very low in calories.  


Always love what you eat and eat what you love!  :)

Comments

Popular Posts