Grilled fajitas!

In my opinion, you just can't go wrong with fajitas.  You can load them with all the toppings you like, and all the different flavors just  seem to meld together into a symphony of deliciousness.  



What makes a fajita even tastier is to grill the meat over charcoal.  You get the smoky grill flavor added to the sauteed peppers and onions and spices, oh my.  I decided to go with chicken breast tenders and flat iron steak for my Sunday fajitas.  

I wanted to marinate the meats for a few hours to add a bit of extra flavor.  Luckily, I finally remembered to get some gallon size Ziploc bags from the store.  They make it soo much easier to marinate things, because you can just throw the bag away when you are done.  I put the meats in two separate bags.  I don't like to mix my chicken with other meats, just because of the whole salmonella issue.  

To each bag, I added a few tablespoons of olive oil and lime juice.  A teaspoon of cumin.  Several dashes of garlic powder and Greek seasoning.  A few splashes of soy sauce.  And some salt and pepper.
Sorry about the measurements....I just eyeball it.  Shake each bag well to coat and place them in the refrigerator for at least a few hours.  Mine ended up being about 6 hours.  The longer they sit, the more they soak up all that flavor.

I used a cast iron skillet for the veggies.  I sauteed red peppers, green peppers, yellow peppers, and purple onion in canola oil until they were fairly translucent.  I didn't want them to be soggy, they need to have just a little bite.  This is them before I turned on the heat...


I grilled the meats while the veggies were sizzling.  The chicken has to be well done, but I left the steak just a bit pink so that it would be nice and tender.  After it was all cooked, I added the meats to skillet and let it all sit for a minute and get to know one another.   


I like the smaller flour shells, so that is what I used for these.  They are just too cute!   For the toppings, I used refried beans, sharp cheddar cheese, fat free sour cream, salsa, lettuce, guacamole, diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro.  I toasted the shells in the toaster oven for a minute, which made them lightly crisp.


Love what you eat and eat what you love!   :)

Comments

Popular Posts